Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Why can't I keep my tooth?

I recently had a tooth pulled and my dentist wouldn't let me keep it. What is up with that? It's MY tooth after all!!
Answer:
Thddspc is absolutely correct. As a dentist myself, my state considers extracted teeth to be bio hazardous waste and I am REQUIRED by law to dispose of the tooth as medical waste. If not done you can face fines and a possible loss of your dental license. A tooth IS considered soft tissue, thddspc is correct as the pulp inside the tooth IS considered to be soft tissue.
Technically, an extracted tooth is considered biohazardous material, and state law in most places requires it to be disposed as medical waste (in the same manner as other things taken out of the human body, like excised tumors, appendices, tonsils, etc.)..Some dentists do bend the rules and let the patient take the tooth home though.. Kids taking their teeth home to put under pillows to cash in with the tooth fairy is a time-honored tradition after all.. :-DEDIT TO ADD: to the poster below: Teeth do have soft tissue inside them (the pulp), some may have a nice coating of bacterial plaque or germ-infested calculus encrusted on them, plus most are bloody when extracted. That's why they are considered medical waste in most states.
paris hilton lost her teeth in jail
You should be able to keep your tooth. I worked in a surgical unit for 3 years and when we took gallstones out we gave them to the patient if they wanted them. A tooth shouldnt be considered biohazard because its not soft tissue like doing a adnoid/tonsillectomy. Your dentist or oral surgeon probably just allready throw the tooth away when you asked for it.
the answer you got from THSDD the first one is absolutely correct. Some dentist do bend the rules but what would you want it for anyway..you aren't going to use it anymore
That is odd he wouldnt let you cause you CAN keep your teeth if you ask. Next time demand they give it to you or tell them you wont come back to their office, you will find a new dentist.
I know you can keep your teeth because I was asked whether I wanted to keep my teeth and I said no (my wisdom teeth when they were taken out) and my brother did keep his teeth. My brother was given a tiny cute little tooth shaped container with the teeth put in it.
Maybe it depends on the state you live in (me, Massachusetts where we can keep teeth :) ). You should have made him explain WHY you couldnt keep them.

2 comments:

  1. TeethNightGuard is selling precise fitting and highest quality customized teeth protectors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. According to OSHA and the CDC the bloodborn pathogen standard does NOT apply after you have given the tooth to the patient. There are NO federal laws stating you can't have it. Next time ask for the specific law that says you can't have it-and then follow up with whether or not they are giving you bs (they are). They will have to pull it out their back ends.
    According to the CDC and OSHA you can have them back. Check your states dental board and make sure there aren't any specific rules but going above the state there aren't any saying you can't have your teeth back

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

vc .net