Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Why do dentists always try and talk to you when they are working on your mouth?

Its not as if you can answer back with any dignerty. And to make matters worse mine has death breath.
Answer:
I like it when my dentist talks to me. It is soothing to me. My dentist that I went to growing up him and the nurse would talk about their day and trips they have gone on. I was so busy concentrating on them talking that it took away from any discomfort of the procedure that they were doing. Smart dentists do this. They know what works.
It is because your lack of 'dignerty' is funny!
you are right dentists do have bad breath dont they always smell of GARLIC.
I think they have some weird sense of humor. I mean who chooses to dig in peoples mouths all day anyway.
They try to make u comfortable, and they keep u less bored...
Probably to distract you from the pain etc. Your dentist should have a mask on their mouth.
I agree with you.Mine uses to talk to me too and I can only make a sort of noise to reply.
Its just with you cause you talk bollox!?
coz they r bored out of there pants. think about it-who would like 2 spend all day picking a peoples mouths? oh yeah-its spelt dignity LOL
OH I know... it's terribly annoying when you can't answer intelligibly. They don't want an uncomfortable silence, so they talk. It's only natural. As for the breath... my dentist always uses a surgical mask... I would look for one who does this also.
Yes, mine does. It's rather annoying.
i always think they like the feeling on their fingers as we splutter...
i hate dentists!!
it's a combination of helping you get your mind off the fact he has a drill in your mouth as well as measuring your pain tolerance by your responses. When you don't respond they know you are having trouble handling the work.
Same reason your hair dresser talks to you while he/she is doing your hair... pass the time, put you at ease. But where the hairdresser's work doesn't involve your capacity to speak, the dentist is right there, in your mouth.Suggestion-- Bring a breath mint to your dentist's office at your next visit. Hand it to him right when he comes in to start working on your teeth.
The doctor should have a mask on. If his breath penetrates the mask. Find another dentist--he does not know how to take of his own teeth. Why should you trust him with yours..Back to the question why they talk to you while they work in your mouth??. This a comedy act they pull--talk to you and see if ya can to answer. The dentist profession is a very lonely thing to do. Their is usually no one to talk to and there you are---mouth wide open---a captive audence---and you cannot leave..
They try to divert your attention from what they might be doing inside your mouth.
My dad is a dentist and talks to me but he asks me about school since I don't live him. While waiting in the back office I have heard him ask them about where they live and talk about me and if it is a usual he asks about their family. Many times he has had patients like him so much they invite us to their homes (mainly old people). You should act shy so they can cut the talking if you don't like it. I have never been to another dentist so that is the way my dads office works.
Lmao, mine has bad breath too! He says stuff to me like "oooh brush your teeth better gemma"I go... "mmmm"Hes like "are you listening Gemma?!"...Mmm"Are you listening Gemma?"
I mean cmon what does he want me to say to him while hes got his hand down my throat??
These shibboleths just keep on rolling, don't they? Dentists don't talk to pts when the pts mouth is full, but what a loss of pathetically unfunny humour were this to be accepted.
Hehe- they try to have a conversation with you to keep you feeling as though you're in a normal environment where you're not stressed. By making conversation they also feel they're doing a better job of keeping you occupied and knowing that you'll use their services again. I believe the term "a load of cobblers" comes from similar circumstances. In the old days when you'd go to get your shoes repaired by a cobbler you were likely to only have one pair of shoes and therefore it would be a long wait while they fixed them. So whilst waiting they may strike up conversation and talk about any old happenings, stories etc to keep you occupied. This makes me think of hair dressers and dentists nowadays- they don't 'alf go on about nothing! hehe
They talk to you to try and make you more comfortable -- I know it is annoying because you can not respond very well but they are pretty good at figuring out what you say
I think it is to try and make you feel a bit more comfortable/at ease because it's well known that people are nervous of dentists.
I think it is to distract you from what they are doing sometimes. I know in our office, we do that. I hope he has a mask on, that should help with the death breath on the receiving end. They also are trying to get to know you and although is is weird to you, it is very normal to the dentist as that is what he deals with daily.

1 comment:

  1. If you would like an alternative to randomly dating girls and trying to figure out the right thing to do...

    If you would rather have women pick YOU, instead of spending your nights prowling around in noisy bars and night clubs...

    Then I encourage you to view this eye-opening video to learn a amazing secret that has the power to get you your own harem of beautiful women:

    Facebook Seduction System!!!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

vc .net