Sunday, October 25, 2009

When will tooth regeneration be available for use by dentists to their patients?

I am interested in the use of stem cells to be used to create a third set of teeth in humans. I have read some reports on the net. I found one report that said a Japanese company will have tooth regeneration, or the ability to grow new teeth in humans this year, 2007? I am interested in what other people have found or know on this topic and their opinions. Thanks
Answer:
In various university research institutions they have succeeded in growing teeth in petri dishes.. It will be a while yet before they can do clinical trials though. I would estimate another 15-20 years or so before tooth regeneration becomes a viable alternative for the general public.
if the Japanese want guinea pigs I'm their man
It may be 20 years away at least. Other techniques such as titanium implants are providing very good results and this may reduce the need for tooth regeneration.A good analogy is growing a new hip for someone when modern hip replacements are becoming more effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

vc .net