Sunday, October 25, 2009

When you get your wisdom teeth pulled at the dentist does it hurt? What do they give you to not feel it?


Answer:
well i heard that it hurts a lot and they dont do anything. it goes away after a while.
Some people get IV sedation when its done (knocked out), others get shots of novacaine, like I did.It didn't hurt while it was being done, but it was a bit uncomfortable after the novacaine wore off. I took some painkillers and pretty much slept for the next couple of days.
When I had mine done, all 4 at once, I remember going in and then the doc gives you a shot. Depending on the type of anesthetic you get you probably won't feel it. I woke up in my bed at home. The only part that sucks is after. It took about 4 days until I was able to eat normally. Good luck.
Usually, they surgically remove wisdom teeth, with local or general anesthesia (staying awake with pain killers, or being put to sleep). I had mine removed when I was about 18. I stayed awake through the procedure. The worst part was getting multiple shots of pain killer, but once the pain killer set in, I couldn't feel anything but pressure. It only took about 15 minutes and I was on my way home. It took me a few days to feel back to normal again, and I had to be careful to keep the areas clean so I didn't get an infeciton.
I had mine out %26 was given "happy gas" which made me go off in space. Warning:::: Don't drink from a straw whatever you do (they'll advise you on this) or you'll get dry socket %26 that's the worst pain I had ever felt (I've given birth since %26 now the wisdom teeth is the 2nd worst).
They give you novacaine, a nerve numbing liquid that is injected into the gums or back of the mouth. The inital needle may hurt, but as you get your teeth pulled, you shouldn't feel very much but your mouth being worked on. I know though after the novacaine wears off, you mouth will ache and be swollen. Rest and your body will heal and do the rest.
Hey dip face...have a carrot dip face!!
I had all 4 of mine pulled when I was 18 years old. I am now 38. They put me to sleep for mine. I do remember having some pain once the pain meds wore off. The part I hated was not being able to eat solids food for a few days. If they are doing only 1 or 2 teeth they may not put you to sleep. I think it really depends on the dentist.
I had all 4 of mine taken out at the same time. None were impacted. I was awake, but I did get lots of novicane shots to numb everything up. I was pretty suprized that after all the horror stories I heard, it was not nearly as bad as I thought. My dentist was great. He gave me a valium to take the night before, so I came in pretty relaxed, and I did get a little (laughing gas) just prior to all those novicane shots. But I was awake for the whole thing. You do feel pressure and kinda tugging, but I felt NO PAIN during. The only thing that that was a bit disturbing was every now and again I would hear a little pop or crack...I remember thinking ewwwww..and I'm glad I didnt feel that. He did perscribe for me like 10 pain pills to take if I needed. I did take one just as I was feeling the novicane wearing off so that I would be covered. I took it more out of fear that It would really hurt. However, the rest of the time I just took plain tylonal if it got to aching. I did end up with dry socket in my lower jaw. So it was more bothersome to go to the dentist every other day to get that looked at and "patched", but the tylonal handled any discomfort from that. I had the 4 wisdom teeth removed in the afternoon and I was back to work the next day ( my jaw was a bit swollen) but I was able to function at my job just fine. Hope this helps! Good Luck
I took mines out a month ago while sleeping. It was general anesthesia (iv). I didn't feel a thing and don't remember much. It's funny because I went in w/them and when I woke up they were gone. Felt like a long sleep and a little loopy when I woke up. They hurt a little bit for about a week and ate only soft foods but the pain meds are great. Took about a week and a half and I was able to eat normally and no more pain. Good luck!

1 comment:

  1. Order a professional Sparkling White Smiles Custom Teeth Whitening System online and SAVE BIG!
    * 10 shades whiter in days!
    * Professional Results Are Guaranteed.
    * As good as your dentist, for a fraction of the cost.
    * Same strength as dentists use.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

vc .net